The ecclesiastical museum of Marpissa is located next to the Holy Temple of the village, which is devoted to Metamorphosis of our Savior Jesus Christ. The inspiration and support of this great work belongs to the blessed priest of the village, Archpriest P. Georgios Stamenas (1926-1997). Assuring the permission of the Archaeological Authority and having the gracious understanding of the residents and friendly parishioners, Blessed P. Georgios started collecting at the old temple of Metamorphosis, all those holy icons being in danger of looters in the chapels and isolated monasteries. This way, he managed to save not only precious ancestral treasures, but above all holy relics of our godly ancestors, from the Periphery of Marpissa.
P. Georgios’ dream of actualization and completion of the work came true a little after his death, by his blood brother, Blessed Metropolitan of Paros and Naxos, Amvrosios II, who assigned the supervision and transaction of the work to the following priest of village Archpriest P. Dimitrios Kidonieos. The construction of the museum was assigned to the experienced temple builder, Mr Ilias Fragoulis and the project of classification of holy icons to the late archaeologist professor Theologos Aliprantis.
The museum was inaugurated by the Blessed Archbishop of Athens and All Greece Christodoulos in August of 1998.
In the ecclesiastical museum of Marpissa are kept valuable holy icons mainly of the Post byzantine period and various holy relics of our godly ancestors.
The hagiographers referred to some holy icons are Ioannis Dakoronias, monk Damaskinos, Theodoros Kaloudas, Petros Mavrogennis and Andreas Mostratos. The two first acted in the 17th century, while the other three, approximately on the first half of the 18th century.
Both the projects of the above mentioned hagiographers and unsigned and unchronological holy icons, follow the Byzantine style and especially the Cretan School, whereas there are few holy icons in which minor elements of West Art are noticed.
The holy icon of Epitaphios lament is the most ancient of the area. It is dated back to the 15th century and is a considerable work of the early Cretan Art.
The old Epitaphios of the parish, aged at about 1750, shows a great interest not only for the woodcarving art but also its painting decoration. According to the late archaeologist professor Anastasios Orlandos, this type of Epitaphios comes from Asia Minor.
The museum is open every day (except Monday). Visiting hours 19:00-21:00
ECCLESIASTICAL MUSEUM OF MARPISSA, ECCLESIASTICAL MUSEUM OF MARPISSA PAROS ISLAND